Mermaids Are Real Quotes
So you've read Mermaids Are Real, or maybe you haven't (shame on you). For those that have, there are a few quotes that either stir up controversy, incite laughter, or get you riled up to defend your existence as a Topsider. Don't worry. Being a Topsider's not a bad thing, just as much as being a mermaid would be. It is what it is. If you haven't read the book, now's a good time to get acquainted with some of the characters.
OctaviusOctavius' words of wisdom rarely equate to long drawn out monologues. He realizes that you can say just as much with a few words as you can with a mouthful. This first one came when he first met Benji and gave him the "you're not what you think you are" speech. I like this one because it reminds us that we are all special. Each and every one of us has a special skill set and talents that make us what we are.
- "No matter how strange you think you are up there, you are very special someplace else. That someplace is Aquari, your true home."
- "Everything in nature speaks. Not everything in nature listens."
BenjiOne of my favorite scenes in the book is when Benji fully transforms. Butterbean and some of the bullies at school called him fishboy because of the "scars" on either side of his neck. Here Benji realizes whether they knew it or not, he is what they accused him of being, and he's ok with that.
- "I am fishboy."
- "Back on land, special isn't always such a good thing."
JoeJoe is Benji's rock. We find out otherwise, but Benji grows up thinking that Joe's his father. Whether he is or not, Joe did a good job raising him and he fully qualifies as a dad. This first one is when, Joe, our normally gruff fisherman gets tired of trying to rationalize his conversation with Octavius and the dolphins and spits it out.
- "I talked to an octopus straddling the back of a dolphin this morning."
- "Normal's what you're used to, and I think you and I have a few things going on that a lot of other people may not be used to."
- "If you tell yourself something over and over again, after a while, it becomes the truth."
JaylonJaylon's a big brother I never had. He's fun, supportive, and funny. He's not a math whiz, but he can sling a spear, captain a boat, or do anything else that requires strength, coordination, and style. And nine times out of ten he does it with a big, fat grin on his face. He's simply a fun merman to be around. When Benji first learns how to change his tail, it doesn't go as he expects. Benji's a little distraught and in the process calls himself a mermaid. Jaylon reminds him that it's just a word.
- "You can be a mermaid if you want, though. We won't judge. Those are Topsider words anyway."
- "Let's head to the front. These always make my hair stand on end."
GougounJust in case you're reading this as a M.A.R. newcomer, Gouguon is the bad guy. He hates the Topsiders. He hates the way they disregard the oceans and, more precisely, hates the way they seem to regard Aquari as a giant trashcan. While Benji was Topside thinking he was a Topsider, Gouguon spent that time in prison. Octavius and the rest of Aquari think he's safely stowed away there for another year, so when Gougoun is exiting Sanjowqua as Benji is arriving, alarm bells start sounding. The next two quotes come from Gouguon as he's talking to Octavius, Meena, Jaylon, and Benji. Gouguon is very calm and very confident. His poise shines in his interaction with them.
- "The birthplace of the Earth's pride and joy? The mother and father of the devolved species of Topsides who now destroy our homeland? Not care?"
- "My interest, young pup, lies in the continuation of Aquarien glory which, if you haven't noticed, is clearly on the downswing."
EekeEeke is the youngest brother to Zeeke and Mai. He's part of the patrol that watches Benji when he's out on his surfboard. This quote is from when they first meet Benji at Joe's boat and Eeke informs them that the animals of Aquari are always listening.
- "Boats are giant speakers. We hear everything."
ButterbeanMy father called his Uncle Butterbean. In the South, we call lima beans butterbeans. I have no idea why. I grew up calling them that because that's what my parents called them when they were fussing at me to clean my plate. They still make me gag. My Dad's uncle was a more likable Butterbean. He was, in fact, a very funny individual. I can only remember laughing around him when I was a kid. In Mermaids Are Real, Butterbean is the goldfish in Benji's History class. The first chapter opens with Butterbean giving Benji a mouthful for not feeding him. Benji's trying to put Butterbean out of his head, but his telepathy is strong now and it's hard to ignore the persistent little fish. In the first quote, Butterbean is demanding food.
- "I can't eat these glass marbles down here. And I'm not hungry enough to recycle yet, which by the way, someone needs to clean this place, too."
- "Help me! I'm dying. I can't breathe! Save me, fishboy. Please! I'm too pretty to go out like this. Too young!"
Dive Into Mermaids Are Real
Join Benji’s journey as he discovers the magical world beneath the waves and all the magnificent creatures who live there.
Buy now on Amazon